“I have tried to remember the first time I saw a dead body. There have been many odd firsts in my life, like the first time I touched a dead person. I was too short to reach into the casket, so my father picked me up and I leaned in for that first empty, cold touch. It was thrilling because it was an unthinkable act. But I recall no first viewing because from the time I entered the world, there were always dead bodies.”

 The Undertaker’s Daughter




 
Kate Mayfield went directly from the hospital nursery to a funeral home. Her father was an undertaker, and for thirteen years the family resided in a place synonymous with death, a place where the living and the dead entered their house like a vapour. There, he opens his doors to every casualty of the human condition: from family feuds and freak accidents to murders, illnesses, and suicides. For Kate, the business of death becomes as natural as life itself.


The Undertaker’s Daughter
is a vivid and stranger-than-fiction true story that ultimately teaches us how living in a house of death can prepare us for life.








 
 AUDIO BOOK



The Undertaker’s Daughter is now also available as a downloadable unabridged audio book, read by Kate.


You can order your copy from Audible 


Listen to a free sample of Chapter One here 








PLAYLIST



If you enjoy music that is synonymous with the American South and Appalachian influenced tunes, or if this genre of music is a revelation, you might be interested to hear the playlist for The Undertaker’s Daughter accessed on Youtube.













Read Reviews of The Undertaker's Daughter














AUTHOR EVENTS PAGE










OTHER BOOKS BY KATE MAYFIELD













































No comments:

Post a Comment